Thursday, March 19, 2009

Got Back Just in Time

My new neighborhood in Oakland sits on the southern edge of Lake Merritt and just two blocks from one of the coolest institutions in the Bay Area, the Parkway Speakeasy, a movie theater where you can watch the show on couches while eating pizza and drinking beer. Back in the day, before I went to Brazil, you could also bring your baby on Baby Brigade nights, I think Monday nights, and they also had special film noir, classic horror and other programs.

One of the advantages of living where I am was, theoretically, being a block from the lake so I could go running regularly and living near the Parkway. Well, to my disappointment, the trail around the lake has been under construction so you have to run on the sidewalk by the street traffic, which is decidedly less pleasant. I've only run twice around the lake in five weeks, although I've been doing some nice runs in Berkeley instead.

And then just now, I learn that the Parkway is closing Sunday. The same company opened a newer theater in El Cerrito with the same pizza/beer/couches concept, which is fine, but the one near my house was the O.G., and it's sad that it's closing. I must admit I haven't gone to the Oakland one at all since I've been back, for no reason really, just never came up. But that's a big piece of Oakland now fading into history.

Now, the only remotely cool thing in my neighborhood is the dive bar Baggy's by the Lake and maybe the Merritt Bakery. But Parkway, we'll always have the memories. And I'm glad I got to enjoy your last month on earth even if it meant only driving by you a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment