Friday, April 3, 2009

Growing Up (Old?) in Public


So just a week or so ago we were happily (or sadly _ a friend said this blog was sad) chugging along, picking up steam wondering if we had any readers or what we might do to attract more readers when we found out we did have readers in the worst way. Seems some of Jack's post about his former job found their way on to someone else's blog and were read by people who still worked there and they were hurt by the sentiments expressed. I didn't think he said anything hurtful, but when you're scared about losing your job and someone is performing the mathematics of elimination, even math can be pretty scary. So Jack pulled all the stuff he posted relating to his former job and warned me to read over what I'd written just to make sure I didn't get in trouble with my job. I did some minor editing, but didn't feel too concerned about anything I had written. Then I thought about an article I'm writing about white supremacist groups and that after it gets published, or even since I've already done the interviews, they might Google me and learn about my opinions and things like where my kids go to school _ so I woke up and pulled all that stuff. A university guy who studies these groups did actually Google before agreeing to be interviewed and was surprised to find I wasn't still in Brazil. Did anyone even notice the blog has gotten a little thinner? I doubt it, but then these are leaner times, heh, heh. Well, it's kind of pain that only press we seem to be able to get is bad press. We haven't had a single comment posted, though I heard someone tried but couldn't. I think I've fixed that. I'd also like to thank our two followers and apologize for not be more diligent about posting lately but the whole experience sort of got us down. I saw Jack even posted something explaining that he'd pulled stuff and then he pulled even that and I haven't heard from him since. Which brings me to the photograph of the guy up above. He's got a really cool look, especially his beard which is hard to make out in the photo. I invaded his privacy to take the picture, but didn't have the courage to get up real close for a better shot even though he was sleeping. But with my iPhone it was pretty easy and discreet to take the picture. This is the new world we live in where we live our lives in public, on-line and all our faux-pas and foibles are easily (and cheaply) beamed around the globe. That may be why soon we won't be needing journalists anymore. Nor will we need record companies, books on paper, movie theaters whatever. I'm not bemoaning it, there's really no point, since it is pretty much inevitable, unless of course the Internet crashes. Wow, what an impact that would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment